So last week I received a very exciting and rewarding e-mail from Susan Watkins, mother of three who lives in Queensland, Australia. Susan e-mailed me asking for advice on some job interview questions and answers. After a couple of e-mails, she bought our MOI Masterclass and within weeks had received the job of her life even after having no work experience for nine years!
I asked her if I could interview her to share her story with you all today. She kindly said yes. So below is the transcript of the phone interview that Susan and I had last week.
– Hey Susan, thank you so much for joining me today and sharing your story with everyone worldwide.
– Hey Luke, no worries at all. Thank you for having me.
– So Susan, although I know a little bit about your story, can you share with the readers about your incredible last few weeks?
– Sure thing. So about a month ago I decided that that I would like to get back into the workforce. I wasn’t sure entirely what I was going to be able do as I decided that I wanted to be a full time mum nine years ago. I have three beautiful girls and I am so glad that I took time off to see them grow up, but it also meant that I didn’t have any work experience for nine whole years.
This was a really big barrier for me even looking for jobs. I thought everyone would just turn me away. However I really did want to start working again so I did a bit of research job interview training and this is when I first e-mailed you.
– Yeah that’s right, your first e-mail was about a month ago. I remember immediately reading it and saying to myself, what does she mean. She has spent nine years looking after three kids, which is more life experience than most people ever have!
– haha yeah, but of course this was not something I initially thought of. So after a couple of e-mails and some great advice, I took you Interview Masterclass course and it instantly made me confident about finding work. My self-doubt had gone and using your techniques, I knew how to start answering questions using my last 9 years of experience.
– That’s great and I’m so pleased that you were able to take those techniques and use them. What was the most valuable aspect of the course in your opinion?
– The most valuable part of the interviewing masterclass, was the ability to understand what made me different to all the other people applying for the job. My strength was that I had been a mother for nine years and I had experiences that many people will never have. I have had to be very organised (although it never feels like I am!), I have learnt multiple negotiation tactics (Trying to share toys and make your kids eat vegetables is not always the easiest!) and of course being able to hand stress.
– haha I can imagine that getting kids to eat vegetables would take some very good negotiation skills. So, I hear there is some great news on the job front?
– There is, I am proudly the new senior advisor for one of the local councils. I start in three weeks, so I have a bit of organising to do before then!
– That is great news Susan, congratulations! I love hearing stories like this from my students.
– Honestly, it has been a crazy last month but I am so happy with the outcome. Again I just want to say thank you so much for your advice. The interview masterclass course is worth way more than the $47 I paid for it and I hope that this story inspires some other mothers out there.
– Well thank you so much for letting me interview you today Susan. I wish you all the best for your new job and I hope you let me know how you get on.
– I certainly will, thanks for having me and continue the awesome site you have. See ya!
– I will try my best, see you!
This was my interview with the wonderful Sarah who now is working for the local council. As you can see from our conversation, only four weeks ago, Sarah was too nervous to even look for work!
Learning your strengths and weaknesses as a person is the strongest and simplest way of being able to answer any interview question that gets asked. Sarah learnt that she indeed have heaps of experience even though it wasn’t in the work force. Even i knew that the skills she would have from looking after three kids for nine years was more then applicable in any job.
To celebrate Sarah’s success, I want to give you all a discount code to my Master of Interviewing Masterclass course.
Code – kickstart for $10 off which means you can receive access to the full video course for only $17!
The video course is designed for you to understand yourself and your own strengths which you can bring to a job. Then using the easy step by step techniques I teach you, you can use all you previous experience, from job or life experience to answer interview questions.
Wouldn’t it be nice to have perfect answers before you even walked into the interview?
Get rid of those nerves and be confident in the interview?
Go get started now